Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Triple chocolate chip chocolate cookies


My husband works shifts that are all over the place -- days, nights, weekends -- and it changes almost daily. I've been rather busy most days caring for our twins who are now 8 months old (I can't believe how quickly they are growing)! One has just started to crawl and both are getting bottom teeth! It amazing how much they learn and change each day. Given our somewhat crazy lives right now, I'm thankful that this winter we've had a super kind neighbor who has snowblowed our driveway and the sidewalk in front of our house numerous times. I think they took a little pity on my husband when he'd be out there shoveling and knowing we have two babies. So, recently I made them some cookies as a "thank you." My husband asked what kind they like and they said chocolate chip.... little did they know they were dealing with a food blogger who would need to jazz that up a bit into something new (not that I don't adore a good chocolate chip cookie). I adapted this recipe from here. It will make about 2-1/2 dozen cookies. We kept six for ourselves, and gave them two dozen. These cookies were so delicious - my husband said they were like eating hot chocolate in cookie form. 


Triple chocolate chip chocolate cookies
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
1/3 cup white chocolate chips*

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a large bowl (or in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment) beat the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour through salt. Slowly add to the wet ingredients on low speed until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Scoop the dough 1 tablespoon at a time and roll into a ball. Place about 1-inch apart on the baking sheets. Lightly flatten slightly with your finger tips.

Bake for 9-11 minutes; until the bottoms just turns light golden. The cookies will look under-baked. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then move the cookies to a wire rack to cool.

Store in an airtight container.

*I like to press a couple extra chocolate chips into the top of the cookies when they come out of the oven and are still hot to make them look cuter. 


What was I cooking one year ago?: chicken fried chicken w/ milk gravy
Two years ago?: rustic potato bread
Three years ago?: quick pickled red onions
Four?: cabbage & chicken coconut curry
Five?: baked shrimp w/ tomatoes & feta 
Six?: lemon & thyme braised baby artichokes 
7?: portabella mushroom paninis

17 comments:

  1. Hot chocolate in cookie form...I love that. They look soft, chewy and divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triple chocolate? Triple good! These look excellent -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these cookies look super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, you should tell your neighbor that you blog! These cookies popped up on my facebook feed and I was drooling over my phone. I've denied myself any treats aside for a mint here and there so I'd pass my 1-hour with no fear. This has lead to a boring and pure diet of steamed broccoli, chicken and plain avocado, eggs and other "perfect" foods. And I easily passed cause I have deprived myself for weeks and weeks on end! Ironic that I want to now celebrate with a few (okay a dozen!!) of these cookies =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three kinds of chocolate chips sounds delicious! Your neighbors must have loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoa! so much goodness here. love how thick they are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd shovel your walk to have some of these! And how generous you were! Not sure I would be the same!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your neighbors sound like wonderful people so nice of you to bake them these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of edible hot chocolate. I nearly made choc chip cookies this weekend as well, but turned them into brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great who can say no to hot chocolate in cookie form? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies look awesome! And a perfect thank you for your neighbors :). How sweet of them to snowblow for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great way to thank your neighbor...these cookies sure look great Amy...cannot get better than triple chocolate...
    I hope you are enjoying your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. so much chocolate, so little time! i'll bet all of your neighbors will be eager to help out now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes please! I bet these are amazing straight from the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's amazing how you can cook/bake/blog so well with such young twins. Kudos to you. And I agree - so thankful for good neighbors and good people. Thanking them with treats is so nice. I'm sure they loved it. What's not to love about these!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neighbors living next door to food bloggers are so darn lucky... I cook a lot and land up sharing food with my neighbors. Love the triple chocolate cookies... look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah these sound DELISH! Pinned to my cookies/bars board for just the right time to make them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!