Friday, April 21, 2017

Banana oat blender pancakes


Our twins are starting to show interest in our food. They want to grab everything we are eating and love to sit at the table with us now. They've started eating a few finger foods (or trying to- they often miss their mouth or drop it before it gets there!) like small noodles and soft fruits. So, I wanted to make them some pancakes to try for dinner recently, but I wanted to keep them simple in ingredients and also relatively healthy. They like oatmeal and they love bananas, so I used the banana to sweeten up these pancakes and oats for the base. We broke them up into small pieces and put them on their trays to feed themselves along with some small pieces of extra banana. As a real treat, we did dip a piece into real maple syrup for each of them. They were mixed on that, but they both really enjoyed the pancakes! My husband and I ate them for dinner, too - so they aren't just for babies and toddlers. 

This recipe will make about 10 pancakes. In case you missed earlier posts, I've been doing a small series on baby and toddler foods since they've been the focus of a lot of my cooking lately. I love making new foods and flavors for them to try and watching their reactions. I also have a Facebook group Baby & Toddler Food Recipe Share for those who may be interested.  


Banana oat blender pancakes
2 cups quick oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmug
1 large ripe banana, plus more for serving, if desired
2 large eggs
1 cup milk (I used 2%) 
butter or vegetable oil, for cooking
real maple syrup, for serving, optional

Combine all ingredients (oats through milk) in a blender and process until smooth.

Heat a cast iron skillet. Lightly coat with butter or oil.

Pour batter about 1/4 cup at a time onto the skillet. Flip when they begin to bubble and are golden. Cook until the second side is golden. Continue until all batter is used.

Serve warm. Break into small pieces as needed for small tots, or give them a whole pancake as age appropriate. 


What was I cooking one year ago?: Buffalo chicken burgers
Two years ago?: strawberry-sour cream-poppy seed pancakes
Three years ago?: chicken chop suey
Four?: stir-fried squid & baby bok choy
Five?: peanut chocolate chip cookies
Six?: roasted chicken w/ baby potatoes & tomatoes
7?: beef Pho

10 comments:

  1. They are so fluffy and soft! Love the simplicity of this recipe and the result is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a ripe banana in the pantry, begging me to use it to make these pancakes!! Yesssss!!!! Thanks for sharing on Friday Frenzy Link Party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, these pancakes sound and look so healthy, just the way I like to eat them. I bet you are having so much fun with your babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a yummy recipes for both adults and wee ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy, your stack of pancakes look delicious. Great to go with a nice cup of coffee.

    Have a nice day,regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet my teen and preteen would happily eat these! Thanks for linking up to the Friday Frenzy--I pinned these too : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound delicious for all ages! I love pancakes, especially banana pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've actually never made blender pancakes, but considering my love for nearly all pancakes ever made, i'm pretty sure they'd be a hit. it's so cool that your twins are so interested in "real" food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so thick and fluffy! Love how easy they are to make! Perfect for little fingers!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!