Friday, April 14, 2017

Pennsylvania Dutch ham, green beans, and potatoes


This meal is a classic from my childhood. My mom made this quite frequently during the cold weather months and we always enjoyed it. This and ham, bean, & rivel soup were two Pennsylvania Dutch family dishes we looked forward to having for dinner. They are simple, homey dishes. This recipe is so simple, it's truly barely a recipe haha. Just a few simple ingredients turn into a tasty meal. Dinner doesn't always have to be complicated or fancy. It's also a very frugal meal to feed your family and, for us, adding twins to our family has encouraged us more than ever to buff up on our frugality skills. We get a half of a pig each year, so our freezer is always well-stocked with ham hocks and hams. I thought that with the Easter holiday coming up, this would be a good time to post this recipe because if you have some leftover ham and a meaty ham bone, you are all set to make this meal next week with your leftovers. I used a ham hock, but either is fine as long as there's enough meat on it to feed about four people. 

I've posted a few other Pennsylvania Dutch recipes in the past. I have two cookbooks that I like to try recipes from and you can get cheap or free e-book ones on Amazon (currently) if you want to look through them. Each one is a little different, and we always find dishes we want to try. This recipe will serve about four people. Serve it with a side of crusty bread or drop biscuits with butter. I've also seen people serving it with cider vinegar on the side. We never did this when I was a kid, but I think next time I'll give it a try.


Pennsylvania Dutch ham, green beans, and potatoes
1 ham hock (or very meaty leftover ham bone)
4 medium-large yellow potatoes, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 lb frozen or fresh and trimmed green beans
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Place the ham hock in a large soup pot or Dutch oven and cover with water (about 6-8 cups). Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 2-3 hours, until the meat is coming off the bone.

Remove the ham hock from the broth and let cool slightly. Remove the bone and fat and shred/chop the meat into bite-sized pieces. Season the broth with salt and pepper. Return the meat to the pot along with the potatoes (if you are using fresh green beans add them as well). Bring back to a boil.

Reduce the heat to a simmer (add frozen green beans at this time). Cook until the beans and potatoes are tender. Ladle into bowls and serve.


What was I cooking one year ago?: Buffalo chicken burgers
Two years ago?: spicy tofu & pinto beans (Sofritas)
Three years ago?: chicken chop suey
Four?: rabbit cacciatore
Five?: carrot cake pancakes
Six?: Brazilian shrimp stew
7?: lemon & vanilla sugar cookies

10 comments:

  1. I ate once something similar to this meal, it was delicious! Great recipe, I think I will try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of simple hearty dishes like this. I love ham and green beans and potatoes are things I could eat everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hearty dish for my ham bone from today's dinner! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like total comfort food! Love those dishes from childhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had ham with green beans and potatoes...thanks for the recipe Amy...it sure looks comforting.
    Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love homey food like this. Really nice! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great meal, ideal for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! This is definitely a popular dish in my neck of the woods ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!