Friday, April 7, 2017

Quick coffee cake (Blitzkuchen)


My husband and I were perusing through The German Cookbook the other week looking for new recipes to try. As I'm sure I've mentioned several times before, we really love this cookbook and we like trying new recipes from it. Also, we've both been teaching ourselves German using Duolingo for a few years now and we speak our very elementary vocabulary around the twins. Maybe the will pick up bits and pieces of a second language as they learn to talk. So, when we were looking through the book, my husband immediately stuck a bookmark into the page for this quick coffee cake (called Blitzkuchen or "lightning cake"). I added a little more cinnamon and a bit more salt in this version.

What I really loved about this coffee cake was that it is simple to make and also simple in flavor. It's not very sweet at all, making it really lovely for breakfast or brunch, or alongside a cup of afternoon coffee. The crumb texture of the cake itself is really nice as well. Add this quick coffee cake to your Easter brunch or Mother's Day breakfast, or as a weekend treat for your family. This cake will serve 6-8 people, depending on how large you cut your pieces (probably 6 haha). 


Quick coffee cake (Blitzkuchen)
for the crumb topping:
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
for the cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar 
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch cake pan (I used springform).

In a medium bowl, stir together sugar through cinnamon for the crumb topping. Then stir in the butter until combined.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour through salt for the cake batter. Cut the butter in using your fingertips until the resembles a fine crumb. Put a well in the center and add the eggs. Lightly whisk the eggs and whisk in the milk and vanilla. Use a wooden spoon to combine the batter.

Spread the batter into the cake pan. Top with the crumb topping. Bake for approximately 25-28 minutes, until the top is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. 

Let cool until you can handle it. Gently remove from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.


What was I cooking one year ago?: Buffalo chicken burgers
Two years ago?: silky peanut butter pie
Three years ago?: lemon buttermilk pie
Four years ago?: Mongolian beef & vegetable stir-fry
Five? pasta w/ leeks & oyster mushrooms
Six?: maple oatmeal streusel muffins
7?: baked eggs in portabella mushroom caps

16 comments:

  1. I can never resist a streusel cake! This looks marvelous, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome you're teaching yourself German. Just got my daughter into violin lessons and I was shocked that using the suzuki method, the parents have to go to all the lessons and learn it too. It's like, um this is hard, I'm not actually a learning sponge these days! Anyhow, I love streusel....although the temptation to go and pick the top of this cake is almost unbearable. Streusel on the weekends with a cup of tea is the right way to start my day =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm this coffee cake looks delicious!!! Totally going to have to make this for the guys at work!! Thanks for sharing on Friday Frenzy Link Party!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a great coffee cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is wonderful that you are teaching yourselves and your children another language. We travel to Germany a lot and it is a difficult language for me. Your not too sweet coffee cake sounds like one I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! And what a great idea, speaking another language around children. I was lucky enough to learn Spanish at a very early age and that made my life so much easier in school later on :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy, this is my kind of cake, love that it's not too sweet. I have this cookbook too and we have enjoyed everything so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That generous crumb topping sold me! What a lovely coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely 6 at our house! This looks terrific -- can never go wrong with a lovely crumb topping like that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This coffee cake looks delicious Amy, and it has really nice crumb...I sure would enjoy a slice of this cake with a cup of tea...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love simple cakes like this one! I agree that it would be perfect with an afternoon cup of coffee...I wish I could have some right now. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cakes with crumbs are always a favorite of mine! Good luck with languages. I bet it helps to have someone to practice with. My son is quite good with languages and I'm not sure where he got it from!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cake looks wonderful - I love coffee cakes! I used to speak fluent German. I was brought up speaking English & German - my mom didn't speak much English. By the time I hit kindergarten I was mixing the two languages and ending up spending years in speech classes to speak proper English. I still know a little German but would like to speak more ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy - I love this recipe - it reminds me of my grandmother's coffee cake (which was German, even though she was French!). The recipe is long lost, so I want to try this and see if it takes me back in my mind to her flat in Boston.

    I saw that you live in Western New York - a place I hold dear in my heart. I went to school in Rochester (Eastman) and participated in a summer arts camp in Chautauqua several summers. Driving through the Finger Lakes was something I loved to do on a weekend. I miss it, especially in spring.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you try this recipe and it reminds you of your grandmothers'! How cool that you went to school in WNY. I, too, love the Finger lakes region. It's so pretty (plus lots of great wineries to try).

      Delete

I love to hear from you!