Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Smoked shrimp & avocado tacos


#CookoutWeek is here and I'm super excited to be participating with so many amazing bloggers. Grilling, cookouts, picnics, and eating outside are all quintessential summer activities. I can't wait to see all the terrific recipes everyone shares this week.

First up, I'm sharing these Smoked Shrimp & Avocado Tacos made with the help of Smokin' O's. My husband is the grill master here, so he helped me with this recipe and we were both really looking forward to trying these out. We don't have a smoker, but we do enjoy smoke flavor, so this was a perfect product for us. We used the Applewood Smokin' O's for these tacos and they turned out amazing!! The smoke flavor was prominent, but not at all overpowering. I wasn't sure if the smoke flavor would penetrate the shrimp since they don't cook for too long, but they were perfect! The Smokin' O's were so simple to use and we will be using them a lot! We already have more ideas, so be on the look-out for those. Tacos are a year-round staple for us and I love that we can make them on the grill now, too!

This taco recipe will serve two people. It's perfect for a weeknight cookout for two, or it's super simple to double or even triple! 

Check out my video of a Smokin' O in action on the grill while making this recipe!


Smoked shrimp & avocado tacos
12 oz. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
zest of 1 lime
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 ripe avocado, halved lengthwise and pit removed

for serving:
flour tortillas

for topping (any/all that you like):
lime wedges
chopped cilantro
chopped mango
shredded green cabbage
thinly sliced red onion
sour cream


Stir the shrimp, olive oil, and all spices together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate.

Make sure your grill grates are clean [Note, since my husband helped me with the grilling instructions, he insists that the first step to all grilling is to open a cold beer haha]. Turn your grill on high and let heat for about 10 minutes (covered) so it is hot. Turn off one burner so one side is off, and turn the other side down to medium heat and let the temperature drop to about 400 degrees.

Put your Smokin' O on the side with the lit burner, close the lid, and wait about 10-15 minutes, until your Smokin' O is lit. Then use tongs to move it to the unlit side. Use a rag or papertowels to rub the grates on the unlit side with canola/vegetable oil.

Place the shrimp and avocado (cut-side down) on the non-lit side, close the lid, and cook the shrimp for about 3-4 minutes per side.

Remove the shrimp and avocado from the grill. Scoop the avocado out with a spoon. Assemble your tacos and enjoy!


Disclosure: Smokin' O's provided me with a sample package of their product as a #CookoutWeek 2017 sponsor. All opinions are my own, and I was not required to post a favorable review.

Don't forget to enter our giveaway (check out all the information here)!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Let me know your favorite taco filling in the comments below.


6 comments:

  1. Such a perfect summer meal! I have never tried grilled avocado...now I am really intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the land of seafood and I've NEVER cooked shrimp on the grill? I need to rectify this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love grilling my avocados in the skins. It saves them from turning brown naturally. These tacos sound right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so much flavor in this dish! Love shrimp on the grill -- it gains a whole new dimension, doesn't it? Anyway, good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love shrimp tacos and these look awesome! Great seasoning on those shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love shrimp and fish tacos. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!