Thursday, July 13, 2017

Lemon pudding cookies


Lightly sweetened lemon cookies with a drizzle of very lemony glaze are a perfect cookie for summer picnics and potlucks. I made these little cookies to take to a gathering we had to watch a parade on the 4th of July. They were a hit and even my twins got to try a couple bites! They enjoyed their first parade. I wasn't quite sure how they would react with all the loud noise, etc. but they had fun. They only jumped a couple times when the fire trucks blew their horns. I was glad about that because sometimes they have a hard time in new places or when there are a lot of people around. Cookies make things better though, I suppose!

This recipe makes about three dozen cookies, so it's great when you need to bring something to a picnic or party. I was thinking of a cookie with a bit of a lemonade flavor when I decided to try these. I modified this recipe as written below. I think the cookies tasted better the next 1-2 days after baking because the lemon flavor had more time to really permeate through the dough. The glaze is a must - it's where a lot of the lemon flavor lives, so don't skip it!


Lemon pudding cookies
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 (3.4 oz.) package instant lemon pudding mix
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
zest of two lemons

for the glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
zest of one lemon
about 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment (or a large bowl with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the pudding mix, eggs, lemon juice, and zest.

Using a wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Scoop the dough one tablespoon and a time. Roll into a ball and place on the baking sheets. Lightly press the dough to slightly flatten. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until the sides and bottom just turn golden. Let cool on the baking sheets for 1-2 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.

Stir together the powdered sugar and zest in a small bowl. Add the lemon juice slowly while stirring until the glaze becomes runny. Drizzle over the cookies and let it dry completely.

Store in an airtight container.


What was I cooking one year ago?: turkey, spinach, & cheese falutas
Two years ago?: zucchini garlic alfredo pizza
Three years ago?: cherry cheesecake ice cream
Four years ago?: pepper jack & zucchini cornbread
Five?: avocado-lime ice cream
Six?: currant & ginger scones
7?: peach lassi

13 comments:

  1. these sound delicious! love lemon cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea Amy...I never thought in using lemon pudding to make cookies...thanks for the recipe!
    I hope you are enjoying your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE love love lemon! These sound so delicious! Have a great weekend, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great summer cookie for sure! I have seen pudding cookies but have yet to try it. These remind me of the lemon curd biscuits I tried recently. Something about lemon that is just irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not really a lemon girl, but um, I have a feeling I would totally PLOW through some of these cause um... THAT GLAZE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet and tangy..I love these summery and delicious lemon cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always up for a cookie and lemon is one of my favorite flavors in a dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I bet the addition of the lemon pudding gives these cookies the perfect lemon flavor, with a soft texture! Yum!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the perfect summer cookie! I've thought back on my lemon recipes, and while I've made pies and bars with lemons, I've never made cookies with them before. High time I change that. PINed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These citrus laden cookies sound delicious, Amy! Glad the twins enjoyed a taste, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies sound delicious and I love the glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a hearty cookie with a glaze? this has a lot going for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. couldn't print your recipe? so printed off the one you copied off.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!