November 30, 2017

Turkey, sweet potato, & quinoa chili


Ground turkey, sweet potatoes, peppers, corn, beans, and quinoa all come together in this super hearty and healthy dish! This 'chili' is something I threw together once to use up some odds and ends of produce and it has turned into an almost weekly staple meal in our home now. It's full of so many good-for-you ingredients and is very hearty and flavorful. What I also love is that my 16 month old twins will eat it. Their least favorite part is probably the turkey, but they love sweet potatoes, corn, and beans, so they will usually eat everything else in it -- especially if I give them a bit of cheese or a dollop of sour cream. I swear I could put sour cream on pretty much anything and my son would gobble it up!

Another thing about this chili is that it is flexible. These are the ingredients and flavors I most commonly use, but you can switch them up with delicious results. For example -- use chicken or ground beef or extra beans instead of turkey; sub pinto beans for the black beans; green onions instead of red onions; poblano peppers instead of bell, butternut squash instead of sweet potato; vegetable broth or water in place of the chicken stock; add jalapeno or cayenne pepper for a kick (I would do this for just my husband and I, but not the toddlers)... This recipe will make about 6 servings. I like to serve it with grated cheddar or jack cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and even some corn chips if you have them.


Turkey, sweet potato, & quinoa chili
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. ground turkey (I use dark meat)
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon sweet/mild paprika
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + salt to taste
1 (14.5) oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cups chicken stock
about 2 cups peeled and diced sweet potato
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 (15-16 oz.) can black beans, drained
1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish

In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the turkey and cook, breaking apart with a wooden spoon, until it is cooked through. Stir in the onions and bell peppers and cook until the onions begin to turn translucent. Stir in the garlic and cumin through black pepper along with a good pinch of salt. Cook for about one minute.

Stir in the tomatoes and stock, scraping up all the bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the sweet potato, corn, and beans and cook until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and stir in the quinoa. Check and adjust seasonings, if needed.

Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes and quinoa are softened. Stir in the cilantro.

Serve hot as is or with any of your choice of toppings listed above.


What was I cooking one year ago?: ham & cheese spaghetti squash boats
Two years ago?: shoofly pie
Three years ago?: whole wheat acorn squash waffles w/ cinnamon & walnut syrup
Four years ago?: pumpkin spice steel cut oats
Five?: West African chicken & peanut stew
Six?: apricot glazed chicken w/ almonds
7?: Waldorf turkey salad pitas

4 comments:

  1. A perfect winter warmer, Amy. Gotta cook a huge batch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So healthy and hearty for winter!! I love it! If your twins will eat it, I bet my boys would love it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea, keeping everything in one pan and using lighter turkey mince! I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. two things i've never added to my chili but love are sweet potatoes and quinoa! wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!