July 16, 2011

Tarragon and grape chicken salad

Apparently chicken salad made with tarragon and grapes is pretty common, but it was something I never had until a few years ago. We were in Baltimore and stopped at a small coffee and sandwich shop for some lunch along the waterfront. I got a tarragon chicken sandwich and thought it was absolutely delicious. This recipe is my attempt to re-create that sandwich. It's odd because the same thing happened to me with curry chicken salad, which I had for the first time at a small shop when we were in Vermont. I guess chicken salad just wasn't something I ate growing up... Anyways, this chicken salad may be my favorite. Tarragon has quickly become one of my favorite herbs and it pairs so nicely with the sweet grapes and chicken. I like to make this with leftover roasted chicken and/or chicken breasts. The recipe is not very exact because of that - you use as much chicken as you have have proportion the other ingredients accordingly.

Tarragon and grape chicken salad
2-3 cups cooked cubed chicken (white and/or dark meat)
2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
1 small shallot, finely minced
2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise or Greek yogurt (or even a combination)
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped tarragon leaves
about 1/2 red seedless grapes, sliced in half

In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, celery, shallot, mayo/yogurt, salt and pepper. Stir until just coated (adjust mayo/yogurt level, if desired). Gently stir in the tarragon and grapes. Serve on lightly toasted bread or pitas with lettuce, if desired.


What was I cooking one year ago?: grilled pork and stone fruit with a balsamic, honey, and black pepper glaze

2 comments:

  1. What is it about tarragon that makes everything so much better? Nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this recipe, it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!