May 31, 2017

Toddler turkey, carrot, and apple meatballs

Bowl of toddler turkey, carrot, and apple meatballs.

I can't believe my babies are already 10 months old! They are getting so big and learning so many new things all the time. They like being outside right now and going for walks in the stroller. We recently tried the baby swings at the park, which they really enjoyed. But, what they really love right now is food. They are interested in trying everything and want to grab and eat all that they see! They still like their homemade purées, especially with oatmeal or whole milk Greek yogurt. They prefer chunkier foods now though and are trying more finger and table foods all the time. I bought some frozen turkey meatballs and they really enjoyed those, so I decided to make a homemade version that is a little healthier for them. I still cut/break up these meatballs into smaller pieces for them at this point. They are picking up those pieces and feeding themselves.... a messy, but fun, time.

This recipe will make about 27ish meatballs. You can freeze them (place on a clean baking sheet in the freezer just until frozen and then place them all in a freezer bag) and then defrost in the refrigerator as needed. Heat them up in the oven or microwave, or even in an alfredo sauce. They can be eaten cold as well. The spices below are what I used, but you can use so many others like thyme, nutmeg, allspice, parsley, coriander, ginger, and others -- whatever flavors and combinations you want! They are also delicious for adults too - I've popped more than one in my mouth! 

Cup open turkey, carrot, and apple meatballs.

Toddler turkey, carrot, and apple meatballs
1 lb. ground turkey (I use dark meat for moisture and flavor)
1 medium carrot, grated on the small holes of a box grater (about 1/3 cup)
1 medium apple, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater (about 1/3 cup)
pinch of salt, optional
a few grinds of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1 large egg
about 1/4 to 1/3 cup baby oatmeal cereal (can sub others as well, or use breadcrumbs) 

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl with your hands (start with 1/4 cup of oatmeal and increase as needed if the mixture is too wet). Roll the mixture about 1 tablespoon at a time and place on the baking sheet (it's okay to place them close together. You can also use two baking sheets).

Bake for about 16-18 minutes, until they are lightly browned and cooked through. Serve or freeze as desired.

Close-up of toddler turkey, carrot, and apple meatballs.

14 comments:

  1. Oh to be a toddler again! :-) Fun stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my son loves meatballs too! well, he loves just about any food. love that you added apple to these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really admire parents of young children (not to mention twins) who manage to cook! These meatballs sound great for kids and make a great family meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that they're enjoying food! It must be so fun to watch them discover new foods :). These meatballs sound awesome! Have a great weekend, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your babies sound like they are growing up fast. The meatballs sound yummy! I think my grandkids would enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They grow up so quickly don't they. I can see why they would enjoy these meatballs, I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!, time flies right. Your babies sound like good eaters, probably even more so because everything is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe your babies are already 10 months! My how time flies when you're having fun. :) I'm surprised you have time to cook much less come up with a tasty meatball. Love that you added apple. Ground turkey can be dry IMO, so I bet the apple makes these meatballs quite moist as well as tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Weren't they just born??? I'd enjoy these meatballs, too, so I can see why your babies approved!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being a baby mother is not an easy task! Cooking at times like this is certainly a labor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, they are growing up fast! Your babes definitely eat well, and that's great. Sounds great with the turkey and apple! Way to go, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son is 9.5 months and I can't believe how big he is! He is a great eater, and I think he would love these meatballs. It's great that the recipe makes so many so we can keep them on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this fabulous post. I have a question. For a new parent that is researching the best baby products to buy, which product will you recommend as the must-have before every other product? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!