Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sweet potato pie

 















Only recently did I start to become a fan of baking. Maybe it's the cold weather, maybe it was the holidays, or maybe a combination of things.

I LOVE sweet potato pie and wanted to try to make one. I looked all over the web for recipes and finally decided I'd try this one. I cut it in half because I only wanted one pie and I made my own crust (an olive oil crust, which I discussed in a previous post). The pie was quite delicious -- not too sweet and it set really well. I'll definitely make it again!

Sweet potato pie
about 1 lb of sweet potato (1 large sweet potato)
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar (I use organic fine cane sugar)
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
pinch of fine sea salt


Cook sweet potato in boiling water until soft (about 45 minutes), then drain. Place it back in the warm pot for a few minutes to dry/get as much water off as possible. Remove skin.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mash warm sweet potato with butter in a large bowl. Stir in both sugars, evaporated milk, and egg. Stir in lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

Pour the mixture into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake another 30-40 minutes (until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean). Let cool for at least two hours.

Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!