June 15, 2012

Roasted strawberry balsamic vinaigrette



I had some farm fresh strawberries left that were quickly getting soft on me. Originally, I was going to use them in this salad for a light dinner one evening. But since they were getting soft, I decided to turn the strawberries into the dressing. And it was a good idea! The strawberries were very sweet and I decided to roast them until they become very soft and juicy. I added some balsamic vinegar, grainy mustard, and a bit of strawberry jam for extra sweetness. I used it to top a salad full of baby spinach and greens, red onion, toasted almonds, crispy bacon, and feta. It was such a fresh and delicious dressing and salad with a perfect combination of flavors. 

We try to eat a salad dinner at least once a week in the summer, especially on the evenings when I have my boot camp class. Have a mentioned this class before? Boot camps seem to be becoming all the rage recently. I've been taking one for about 8 weeks now and I absolutely love it. It's been a great way to get me to do more cardio exercise. Plus, the class is at a school right down the road from me so I can walk to and from class - a definite bonus. But after I get home, I don't want a heavy dinner to eat after working out, plus it's later than we would usually eat dinner. This recipe will make about 2 cups of dressing.


Roasted strawberry balsamic vinaigrette
about 2 cups of fresh strawberries, hulled
1/4 cup high-quality balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
about 1 tablespoon strawberry jam (or honey), optional (taste for sweetness)
good pinch of sea salt
a couple grinds of fresh cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard

Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the strawberries on the parchment. Roast for about 15-20 minutes, until the strawberries are softened and very juicy (you can also use the broiler, but cut down the time to about 8-10 minutes).

While the strawberries are roasting, place the balsamic, olive oil, jam/honey, salt, and pepper in a food processor. When the strawberries are finished, let them cool slightly and then add them and all their juices to the food processor. Pulse until smooth. Add the mustard and pulse once or twice, just so it mixes through, but doesn't break up the graininess. 

You can use the dressing warm or place in a jar and refrigerate up to one week and serve it cold.


What was I cooking one year ago?: banana and pineapple sage smoothies
Two years ago?: peach-strawberry-raspberry pie

24 comments:

  1. Love this - I'm always looking for new salad dressing recipes since we eat salad with dinner almost every day in the summer. This one looks so unique and creative - I'm definitely going to have to try making some fruit-based dressings this summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I LOVE the sounds of this recipe! we have so much spinach in the garden, I run out of new ideas. thank you!! i will definitely try this dressing. oh they will be so impressed!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    have fun at boot camp!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It sounds delectable! Sweet and tart. I need to get my butt to boot camp! How great that it's so close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this interesting salad dressing! Great for summer & love to try any new salad dressing recipes that jazz up those yummy salad! Have a lovely weekend, Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW - this sounds like a dressing I would love! I'm really particular about salad dressings but this is one that I'll try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delicious homemade vinaigrette!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love strawberry salad dressing with spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this vinaigrette sounds delicious! I have never made a vinaigrette myself. But this sounds do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE strawberries and balsamic together so I'm thinking this would be so delicious! It might even get me to eat that salad-a-day I told myself I would eat starting in June...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know your vinaigrette is good because I just had a salad that featured a grilled strawberry vinaigrette and posted about it. Now I have a nice recipe to recreate the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious! This would be great on a fresh summer salad, or perhaps as a marinade for steak!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love this idea of turning fresh strawberries into a summer salad dressing! I bet the Dijon mustard tastes amazing with the sweet berries too - delicious idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE drizzling balsamic vinaigrette on strawberries, but combining them into a dressing? Pure genius. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this dressing...since I like fruits in my salad, this will be perfect on any green.
    Thanks for the recipe Amy and hope you are having a fabulous week :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. rarely do i use dressing on my salads--i'm SO picky! this looks absolutely delicious, though--very clever recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks and sounds so delicious! Such a pretty color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a delicious looking dressing, and I love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great way to use up some dying strawberries! Also, I LOVE bootcamp!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never roasted strawberries before! I should try it ASAP! Love the vinaigrette!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Amy ,

    I'm Punitha of www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    New to your lovely space:)
    Vinaigerette looks CooooooLZZZZ ...

    one request to you Amy ,

    I posted a guest post at Lavanya's blog.

    Do drop a comment at Lavanya's recipes....

    thank you Amy and Keep on:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum roasted strawberries, I make a similar recipe but never thought to roast the berries great idea thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This salad dressing looks so delicious. I would never have thought to roast strawberries. I always make my own salad dressings but I tend to make the same few kinds. This is totally different and sounds great! Thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been craving salad lately...I need to try a dressing like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like a delicious vinaigrette! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!