Saturday, July 4, 2015

Grandpa's hot dog sauce


Summer means an increase in hot dog consumption, right? I was thumbing through an old cookbook that came from my husband's grandparents recently. The book itself isn't super interesting; however, tucked inside its pages are a bunch of hand-written recipes on pieces of scrap paper. These are little pieces of history that we love to look through. One of our favorites is their recipe for Galumpkis (sometimes called pigs in a blanket or cabbage rolls). We found this "hot dog sauce" on a small scrap of paper with incomplete directions and almost zero ingredient quantities, but I told my husband I'd try to recreate it.

Now, this isn't really a "sauce" as you can see from the photos; it's definitely more like a chili. But, sauce is what it's called so that's what we will call it! The sauce is sweet, tangy, and slight spiced. We ate ours with an extra addition of chopped onion and extra mustard as well. A bit of shredded sharp cheddar cheese is also a tasty addition. Serve it on top of your favorite hot dogs and rolls this summer. It should easily make enough for about 10 hot dogs and it's sure to be a hit!


Grandpa's hot dog sauce
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup water
salt and pepper, to taste

In a pot or large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Stir in the ground beef, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Stir in the onion and a good pinch of salt. Let the beef brown and the onion sweat out, stirring occasionally. When the beef is cooked though, drain the fat, and return the mixture to your pot. 

Stir in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Let the mixture come to a bubble, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and all the flavors have had time to come together, about 15-20 minutes. If it starts to stick, add a touch more water.

Serve hot on top of you favorite hots dogs and rolls. Feel free to add extra mustard, chopped onion, shredded cheese, and/or a bit of your favorite hot sauce.


What was I cooking one year ago?: lemon & chive kohlrabi fritters
Two years ago?: broccoli salad w/ cheddar, cranberries, & sunflower seeds
Three?: pistachio cardamom ice cream
Four?: guacamole 
5?: cauliflower & broccoli stuffed manicotti

17 comments:

  1. Oh how I love old recipes .. specially when it comes from grand parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Grandpa and I would get along just fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really a fan of hot dog, but that sauce sounds really great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some old church cookbooks with recipes that my husband's grandmother contributed. I love those old cookbooks and when you see something handwritten from a relative, even better! This is a fully loaded dog :) Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boyfriend HATES hot dogs! Which sucks, because I like to eat them now and again. But I guess it would be more for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is really upsizing a hot dog! The recipe book must have some amazing treasures in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to discover a recipe like that! Definitely a great way to dress up a hot dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This hot dog is definitely greater than the sum of its parts! Perfect summer eating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you hit a treasure trove of recipes, looks delicious. Have a great time cooking through them. What a clever name for this meal too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you believe I haven't had one single hotdog yet this summer?? I can NOT wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those hand-written recipes are gems! What a wonderful sauce - makes me want a hot dog really, really BAD!! Definitely with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a terrific chili dog sauce! Don't you love old hand-written recipes like that? They're treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy, your hot dog sauce look extremely good. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe.

    Have a nice week ahead,regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hand-written recipes like that are just the absolute best. They always make me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love old recipes too. :) This is a perfect recipe for July with all the cookouts and barbecues!

    ReplyDelete
  16. For years I have been looking for the chili sauce that is served on the hot dogs at the local A and W, where I grew up. You can bet that I will give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!