October 18, 2017

Sweet potato brownies

Plate of baked sweet potato brownies.

Disclosure: Imperial Sugar is a gold sponsor of #Choctoberfest and provided me with sugar. All opinions expressed are my own.

Guys, can you believe all the amazing chocolate recipes there are for #Choctoberfest already?! I hope you are all following along this week with our hashtag on all your favorite social media platforms. I'm excited to share my next recipe with you today -- Sweet Potato Brownies! Pumpkins are amazing and all, but sweet potatoes deserve fall love, too. They can be used in a lot of baked goods which may normally call for pumpkin. But, the humble sweet potato is often overlooked (except for its amazing pie). So, let's change that by using it in more delicious treats like these brownies. These brownies have a sweet potato topping gently swirled into the top of the brownies as well as a bit of sweet potato in the brownie batter itself. They are super moist, sweet with a touch of warm spices, and chocolaty, too. Plus their colors make them fun for Halloween party treats! Thanks to Imperial Sugar for inspiring these brownies which will certainly become a fall favorite for our family. In case you missed my Instagram post when I received my sugar, my little goblins were excited to help me out in the kitchen and to be taste testers for these yummy brownies!

Plate with stacked sweet potato brownies.

Sweet potato brownies
for the brownie batter:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used Imperial brand)
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1/4 cup sweet potato puree*
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
for the sweet potato swirl:
1/3 cup sweet potato puree
1 large egg + one yolk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 packed tablespoon light brown sugar (I used Imperial brand)

Butter or spray with cooking spray an 8"x8" baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk together the flour through cinnamon in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg through butter. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. Evenly spread 3/4 of the batter into the baking dish.

In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the swirl. Pour onto the top of the batter in the baking dish (it will be runnier than the batter). Top with the remaining batter and use a butter knife to swirl.

Bake for about 30 minutes, until the edges are golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before slicing.

*You can use canned sweet potato puree or you can make you own. Simply bake a medium sweet potato until you can piece it with a fork, peel, and then puree in a blender or food processor.

Sweet potato brownie on a serving plate with a bite out.



10 comments:

  1. They look so yummy! Well, brownies...how could they be not good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of sweet potato brownies! I've put sweet potatoes in almost everything else, but never brownies. Genius! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- I never would have thought to swirl in sweet potato but it's such a great idea! I bet these taste fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sweet potatoes, and this looks like a very interesting recipe. The swirl sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a unique and tasty idea, perfect for halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen sweet potato brownies before! I love it! Looks super yummy :) XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when we find unexpected good for you food in treats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking to First Monday Favorites, love the idea of adding sweet potatoes to brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are too intriguing to pass up!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet potatoes DO deserve fall love! And these brownies are a unique way to show it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!