January 17, 2018

Oatmeal molasses bread

Slicing a loaf of oatmeal molasses bread.

Bread baking is something that I've been wanting to do more often and become more proficient at doing well. I was working on sourdoughs until I killed my starter (must get a new one going soon), but yeasted breads and I have never really been friends. I mean, I want to do it, but I find it intimidating and a little daunting because of the amount of time it takes. Not active time really, but planning out to give enough time for kneading, rising, baking, cooling.... it can be an all day affair! So as soon as I saw that January's Fantastical Food Fight theme was oatmeal, I knew I was going to challenge myself to make a good loaf of oatmeal bread. I used this recipe as my guide, but my first loaf did not come out super (And also was dropped on the floor.... ahhhh, life with two toddlers). So, the below recipe is my slightly modified version. This loaf came out much better, but it's still not perfect. I need to keep working on it and improving my bread shaping and baking skills. This bread is slightly sweet from the molasses. It's delicious as is, but really delicious with some butter and jam. My twins love this bread. I mean they were yelling and reaching for it over the baby gate the entire time I was trying to take photos. I think it would make a mean peanut butter and jelly sandwich and is perfect for toasting up the next day for breakfast. The below recipe will make one loaf.

Loaf of baked oatmeal molasses bread.

Oatmeal molasses bread
1/2 cup packed old-fashioned rolled oats, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
3/4 cup boiling water
1 cup warm water
1 envelope (2-1/4 teaspoons) dry active yeast
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, with 2 tablespoons at room temperature, plus more for greasing
6 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
about 4 cups all-purpose flour

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir the 1/2 cup oats with the 3/4 cup boiling water. Let sit for 30 minutes. When 20 minutes are up, place the cup of warm water into a bowl or 2-cup glass measuring cup along with the yeast. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes.

Mix the 2 tablespoons room temperature butter, the molasses, and the salt into the oat mixture until well-combined. Turn the mixer on medium and begin adding the flour 1/2 cup at a time until a medium-soft dough forms. Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, adding more flour if too sticky. Form into a ball.

Butter a large bowl and put the dough in. Cover with plastic wrap and then a kitchen towel. Let rise for one hour.

Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Punch down the dough and knead again on a well-floured surface for about 3 minutes. Form into an 8-inch loaf. Place into the loaf pan and cover again with plastic wrap and towel. Let rise for another 45 minutes. While it rises, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce to 350 degrees and continue to bake for another 25 minutes. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter. Remove the loaf and brush on the butter and sprinkle with one tablespoon of oats. Bake for another 12-15 minutes, until the loaf is deeply golden and sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then remove. Let cool before slicing.

Sliced bread topped with butter.

What was I cooking one year ago?: slow cooker chicken enchilada soup
Two years ago?: banana chocolate chip cake
Three years ago?: old-fashioned oatmeal pancakes w/ butter-molasses sauce
Four years ago?: soft-baked snickerdoodles
Five?: almond pancakes
Six?: lemony raw kale salad
Seven?: cashew chicken korma
8?: Thai sweet pumpkin


14 comments:

  1. Your bread looks lovely. I would love a piece with my coffee this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bread turned out just perfect, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious and I love how homemade bread doesn't look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing nearly as good as homemade bread, is there? This looks SO good with the oats and molasses -- great combo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm glad this loaf turned out! it looks beautiful. i love baking with molasses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am smiling picturing you taking photos with toddlers yelling at you for bread! P.S. I LOVE baking bread and find it to be quite therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making bread as much as eating and any bread with molasses in it, has my vote. Very nice loaf of bread!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bread looks righteous to me. I'd love it with a dab of peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so funny because years ago this was close to one of the first breads I ever made. I know what your twins were wanting this...it is so good. May have to try it again soon. I love baking bread. It isn't hard, but it is timing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing! I just bought a new mollasses, and will have to try this over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a gorgeous bread! it looks pillow-soft but sturdy enough to hold lots of toppings (or butter!). bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at molasses! This bread looks so wonderful. The texture in the pics has me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want a whole loaf of this now! And I won't be sharing either hahaha ;) PINNED!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum I always love a hearty loaf. My boys were ALWAYS trying to snitch food while I was shooting photos. Now I cook and bake while they're at school and they just hover it up when they get home. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!